Production Week

The week we have all been waiting for.  It is Production Week, now we see if we made all the right decisions during this wonderful build.

Remember all the beautiful white Wilis?  Well they aren’t white any more.  It was a little scary painting all those beautiful new white tutus.  But they are even more beautiful now.  Because of the painting we did something we never do.  We had a studio dress of  Act II on Tuesday of production week.  After the dress we had to tack ivy on all the wilis.  Big job.

img_20161025_123946

Diane as Myrta 

Beautiful!   Svi painted all the wilis, it took about 3 days.

img_20161025_123913

Look how nicely it moves, this costume still needs jeweled

We also finished the Abrecht Act II costume. .

img_3308

Embroidering  gold motifs on Albrecht’s sleeves.

I also embroidered a message inside Alexa’s Act I Giselle bodice. On saturday Chris will be dancing his final performance as Albrecht.  Alexa and Chris are married and have been dancing together for years.  Inside her tutu I embroidered “He Loves Me”and 10-29-16  the date of his last performance.  Loved adding that personal message for them.

Last night was wonderful.  It is so nice to see it all coming together.  The sets were beautiful!  I am so excited for tonight’s rehearsal.  The orchestra will be playing so it will sound so wonderful.  Lighting is looking great,  soon everything will be perfect!

Today we made a new peasant costume, added a peplum to Wilifred, made another cape for one of the Court men, a new headpiece for Giselle Act I and Act II.  Redyed Hilarion tights and Joanna also dyed some ostrich plumes for the Court hats.  We also adjusted the Friend headpieces and sprayed all the wili headpieces.

Tomorrow night is opening,  so very exciting, hope to see you there.

Almost there

We have less than a week til opening night.  And I am happy to say we are almost done!  We have a cape to make for one of the court men, an Albrecht cape to line, court child to finish and one more GISELLE bodice for Act I.

But more important so much has happened in the last three weeks.  We have had multiple studio dress rehearsals.  They were all wonderful!  Nice to see the dancers in them.  This was our first studio dress three weeks ago.  The Wilis look done, but we still have to paint them, add sleeves and trim the fronts of them with ivy.  Not to mention fix all the ones that need adjusted.  But like I said this was three weeks ago and happily to say everything is done but the trimming and adding sleeves.  Svi has been painting for the last three days, he is almost done.

More to follow!

Moving On

Since my last entry many things have happened.  All Wonderful!!!  All lots of fun and very enlightening.

David and I drove to Ashville, North Carolina to see the Costume exhibit at the University of North Carolina.  Costume Design at the Turn of the Century 1990 – 2015 amazing exhibit.   It included costumes and costume renderings from artists  around the world.  It also included our Rat King headpiece and our Beast headpiece that Svi constructed.   The costume renderings were done in all different styles and all beautiful and unique.  It will also be on display in China next year.  Igor Roussanoff , Professor of Drama at UNC was the curator.  It included 1500 designs by 300 plus designers from 31 countries.  The exhibit was first hosted by the A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum in Moscow.  img_0620

Igor is Svi’s Father, we know where Svi’s talent came from.  He grew up in a costume shop.We are so lucky to have him working with us on GISELLE.  img_0618

Last weekend we had our Grand Opening Celebration for our new annex – Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on Friday,  Reception and Performance on Saturday and Open House on Sunday.  All three events were wonderful and very well received.  Great weekend!

Throughout it all we never stopped working on GISELLE.  Today we fit the last 3 Wilis and Peasants.  We have to complete the Wilis by Wednesday because we are having our first studio dress rehearsal.  I asked Terry if we could do a few small studio dress rehearsal as blocks of costumes were completed so we could adjust them before prep week that starts on October 17th.

All but two fabrics have been purchased and we only have six more costumes to cut.  We are moving along.

We did a radio interview with Bob Studebaker.  Art from the Ground Up on WESA 90.5.  I will try to attach it.  

Joanna dyed the fabrics for Giselle’s  Act I costume today.  We still have more dying to do but in a week or two.

The scenery arrived yesterday!!!!  We are getting closer.